Wednesday, July 1, 2009

YES! Teen Leadership Adventure


Today is already a success even if nothing else good happens. I've been struggling with how to motivate my teenage son, Chance, to go experience D. Forrest Melton's YES! Teen Leadership Adventure.

I tried explaining, cajoling, shaming and manipulating all to no avail. After texting my regrets to Forrest and Sheli, he texted me back with all caps: JUUUUST BRIING HIM!

I woke his butt up and said, "Get dressed. I am taking you. If you don't like it you can call me and I will come pick you up. If you make it though both days, I'll buy speakers for your car stereo."

It was a bribe. I am not sure if that is proper parenting, but in the end - I got him there and I feel reassured that Forrest and Sheli will do their jobs and my son will be, as he always is - caught up in the spirit and bought in once he gets started. He is an inspiration to me and I am grateful that at the last minute from a dead slumber, he gave in to the old man's wishes; I hope it's because he knows I love him more than life and not because I would harp on it for the rest of the day if he didn't go.

More to follow........

No comments: